When the weather outside is frightful…
Hot Cocoa – it tastes like childhood in a mug and brings us back to frosty mornings, snow days and ice rinks.
We are trying to omit as much refined sugar from our diet, and have found a way to have our kale and drink (hot) chocolate too.
This recipe is super easy, and 100% better tasting (and better for you) than the conventional store bought mixes. Many popular, store-bought hot chocolate mixes contain ingredients that are not-so good for you, including: corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated oils, carrageenan and (gasp) artificial flavour and colour.
We understand that we all like to indulge every now and then, but after trying this amazing hot cacao recipe, you’ll never go back to the store bought, pre-mixed hot chocolate.
Cacao is an amazing superfood - we wrote about superfoods in our previous post, and cacao is referred as the 'super-healthy' chocolate powder for good reason.
If you haven't heard, good quality dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa) is actually good for you - in moderation of course. Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants, promotes cardiovascular health and slows down the aging process - all really good things we need in our lives!
Cacao powder is made from unprocessed cacao beans and is considered by many food experts as one of the healthiest foods in the world. It contains iron and magnesium which is significant because almost 80% of Westerners are deficient in magnesium. This deficiency has been linked to a vast majority of chronic diseases in our society. Cacao also helps our brain produce ‘feel good hormones’, much like chocolate, and it tastes like chocolate, well ... because it is chocolate!
Before we reveal our (not so) secret recipe, here are a few tips:
- Be sure to use 100% organic cacao powder. Not store-bought hot cocoa or sipping chocolate mix.
- withinUs™ TruMarine® Collagen will boost this or any drink (hot or cold) with its 18 amino acids and protein to stimulate and promote collagen production. While you are sipping away, that added TruMarine™ Collagen will help the entire body with building blocks required to support and repair your body’s connective tissues. Beauty begins from within and although topical creams and lotions advertise to help your skin revitalize and reduce wrinkles – drinking a pure, premium select grade marine collagen will not only help you achieve that glow from within, but clinically proven to hydrate your skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- This is also really delicious when mixed 50/50 with freshly brewed dark roast coffee.
Now, let us introduce our favourite winter drink, TruCacao Bliss!
Hot TruCacao Bliss
1 cup filtered water
2tsp Organic Raw Cacao Powder
2tsp Coconut nectar (to taste) or maple syrup
1tsp Coconut oil
¼ cup warmed almond or coconut milk
5g withinUs TruMarine Collagen
pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
Try adding half coffee and half TruCacao Bliss for a twist on the regular cafe mocha.
1. Add water, cacao powder, cinnamon into saucepan over medium heat and gently whisk together. Once combined, add coconut oil, coconut nectar, almond / coconut milk. Heat the mixture, however, be careful not to bring to a full boil. Once mixture is warmed through, turn off heat and stir in TruMarine™ Collagen and pink Himalayan salt.
2. Pour into your favourite mug (comfortable, fuzzy socks optional) and enjoy.
3. For the kids, or for those young at heart, try topping it off with some Good Mallows and extra cinnamon.
4. Add a board game, a classic holiday movie or continue your online holiday shopping.
This drink is so good, and good for you - it will surely become a family favourite.
TruCacao Bliss is the perfect example of how cutting back on refined sugar doesn't mean you have to compromise taste!
Cheers to health and snowy days...